New Regions

edited February 2015 in Ideas
If you could be the sole designer of a region in Ur, what would be your theme/aesthetic and what would you be able to do there?

I would design an off-color mountainous region that's in shades of yellow and yellowy brown more reminiscent of sandstone than any mountainous regions that currently exist. It'd bear a lot of similarities to Groddle Heights except for the color changes. And in the area of this region where the peak is located, there are darker yellow honey veins that run through the rocks of the peak that can be mined with a pickaxe.

The gold of Ur they call it.

Initially honey mining would be half as effective, in terms of yield, as traditional mining and there would be a skill Rock Candier, like jellisac hands but requiring mining II, that allows you to double the amount of honey you get while mining. Yield of honey mining after relevant skills are learned and upgrades are bough would be identical to chunks of dullite as they have the same value of four currants. In other respects honey mining would behave much like regular mining. It takes the time that mining beryl or sparkly would at that mining level and drops sapphires, rubies, moonstones, and diamonds as mining does. (Perhaps it would also have a very rare chance to drop an unnamed rare gem that only honey veins produce that is worth 5000c. Perhaps topaz or citrine or even simply gold ore.)

Gimme your best ideas!

Comments

• I would have a lush green jungle like area with waterfalls! I'd have one of those waterfalls be a secret entrance to a oasis of bliss. Or i'd have a region full of disgruntled things. I'd love to run by a tree that occasionally yells, "GET OFF MY LAWN YOU YOUNG WIPPER SNAPPERS!" Or a shiny rock that says random things like, "When I was five I was the real batman"
  • Maybe a small area (just a handful of streets) of spider webs? Like, giant ones that you can platform and walk on. Not creepy, of course - they might be covered in dewdrops that glisten in the sunlight, for instance. Or the webbing is white in a rainbow-pearly sort of way, and when you walk on it it makes xylophone noises. A happy web, in any case.

Every once in a while, you come across a spider (if indeed a spider is what made the webs. Maybe it's something else? A gaggle of ducks? Crafty giraffes? I dunno) who asks for help with the web. Maybe they need some extra string to do some repairs, or maybe they request your help in shrinking down and untangling some knots (because oh what a tangled web they weave... and wish they didn't...), and you get something nice as a reward if you help out.

...Either that or a single street somewhere with lots of dangly vines that you can grab hold of and swing from, doing Tarzan-like yells.
  • Oooh, I like that idea @DiddilyPuff : ) And @Artemis I've long thought we need a more jungly area! Though I can't help but wonder what we'd do there! Collect olive oil from drippy orchids ; )? Or tickle orangutans for their secret oily dressing recipe?
  • I so desperately want a sandy beach island...and given that I'm from FL, the east coast would have golden sands, and the west coast would have sugar white sands. There would be palm trees, hibiscus, bird of paradise, flying flamingos (of the plastic variety, that when you interact you get some sort of plastic compound to build plastic stuff), clapboard or stucco buildings in pastel colors, maybe even friendly alligators in fresh water lakes. Lots of flowers, lots of big plants, lots of pastels. Also you could collect shells on the seashore, go fishing, maybe collect pearls from oyster shells to make into jewelry. You could also collect sand to make into glass to make into other things. Maybe if you stay too long, your glitch gets a sunburn...would love the ability for your glitch to be able to play like we do in FL...paddleboards, kite boards, surf boards (if you are on the east coast), jet skis, and boats...in essence, paradise...
  • Ditto the sandy beach! I'd love to hang out on a tropical beach, and maybe be able to swim in the crystal waters? That's a lot of stuff for just one region, though @b3achy. lol
  • You know @b3achy we would need a shark fin hat to swim around and scare people with :D
  • edited February 2015
    @Artemis - and the background music would have to be Glitchy Jimmy Buffett like tunes... :) ♪♫
  • @b3achy saturday night gold! Every day! Oh my heart!
  • I'd like to make a slightly forested area with some giant's kettles, giant boulders, raised shorelines and an entrance into either Callopee or Pollokoo through a HUGE giant's kettle, like that drop in The Great Hole To Ix.
  • Wow @JanunHarmaa! That sounds really neat actually : P Any cool activities that would happen there? Maybe you'd get a passive buff to potionmaking if you use your cauldron in the area of giant kettles ; ) Or a buff to cooking with an awesome pot? Something neat like that that would make people want to visit : P

I imagine a buff like that would be a simple yield increase, get ten percent more products when making at least ten dishes at once or something like that : P
  • @"Liza Throttlebottom"
    I actually didn't think that far, but that sounds great! There could be badges for having cooking parties in a kettle!
    Maybe a certain amount of people, or a certain amount of food made together?
  • YEEZY THINKS UR WOULD BE BETTER WITH A REGION THAT'S NOTHING BUT ALL SORTS OF DIFFERENT STATUES. AND MIRRORS. LAND OF STATUES AND MIRRORS. IT'S PRETTY EASY TO GET GOOD 'N' WEIRD ON THAT RIFF.
  • SPEAKING OF: WHY AREN'T THERE ANY MIRRORS IN UR. YEEZY LOVES MIRRORS
  • KNOW WHAT ELSE WOULD BE A COOL REGION? CATAPULTIA, THE REGION OF CATAPULTS.
  • edited March 2015
    KANYE WHAT ABOUT A LAND THAT CATAPULTS MIRRORED STATUES AT YOU WHILE YOU DODGE AND RUN?
  • THIS SOUNDS LIKE A STUPENDOUS SET OF IDEAS! WHAT WOULD HAPPEN IN CATAPULTIA? WOULD THE CATAPULTS THROW YOUR GLITCHEN TO A RANDOM REGION ONCE PER GAME DAY WITH A LARGE iMG BONUS FOR THE AMAZING EXPERIENCE?!
  • OHHH MAN THE STREET NAMES YOU COULD HAVE IN CATAPULTIA!

CHEZ TREBUT
    ONAGER OFFAGER
    BALLISTA VISTA
    SPRINGALD FALLS
    MANGONEL MINGLE
  • Hanging lanterns. Just... just a buttload of lanterns everywhere. And some fireflies.
  • @Ariaste Yo I'm down. What would we do in this wonderland of lights?
  • @Ariaste Kinda like Balzare on steroids?
  • @Artemis: Not enough lanterns. But yes. Maybe fewer trees also, I like to see the sky and the horizon. Fewer trees, MORE LANTERNS. Do you think you're imagining enough lanterns? Wrong. MORE.

@"Liza Throttlebottom": Oh, I don't know. Catch fireflies. I sort of toyed with the idea of a wintry landscape, so it'd be like a display of Christmas lights but elegant instead of garish, but I'm not sure... Ah! I've got it -- most of Ur seems to be in spring/summer seasons (except for the two or three snowy highland regions). How about a glorious autumn region? Red and gold leaves and a buttload of lanterns. And a pile of leaves you can jump into. Yes.
  • Your passion for lanterns is unmatched. I bow before it.
  • edited March 2015
    How about a Candy Land area? Full of fluff and candy and cakes and more candy. We have a party pack that is a good start, but it would be cool to have a whole (albeit small) region of delish candy goodness...chocolates, candy corn, lollipops, twizzlers, smarties, sour patch kids, dark chocolates, lemon heads, cinnamon hearts, gummy bears, cotton candy, etc. Think Glitchy Willy Wonka factory...
  • Ooooh b3achy that'd be really nice! I think it would make a great miscellaneous island : ) Similar in size and zaniness to Uralia perhaps. Maybe with its own tool vendor?
  • @artemis - shiny rock "when i was five..." cracks me up just thinking of what he might say

@diddlypuff - you almost had me with xylophopne spider webs until tarzan-like yells made coffee come out my nose. omgiants! conga line vine swinging would be hilarious!

@b3achy - yes to the island! and i insist it includes buttfloss swim bottoms and shark fin hats (+artemis)! and glitchy willy wonka just screams for gnomes as oompa loompas!

@ariaste - buttload of lanterns! and pile of leaves that when you jump into them you explode from a different pile shooting into the air where you have one leaf in each hand and use them to glide slowly down to ur again. i would also like to send illuminarie lanterns into the air at night :)
  • edited March 2015
    Ooookay so I think it would be nice to have a few new regions beyond or maybe under Pollokoo and Callopee, in the deep northern mountains. They'd have a similar art style, and you'd find more rocks to mine there but also .... FLOODED CAVES as you go deeper under the mountains. Yes, I'd like to see caverns half submerged, with platforms to jump from above and cold, clear water below. I would love to be able to run and jump into the water. I'd love to be able to swim at the top of the pools wearing a shark fin hat on my head (great idea @artemis). I bet you could have some fun parties playing on the platforms, mining sparkly, swimming as in Jal, and playing with the denizens in the water.

What would be unique about this region? Besides the geography?
    I'd like to see beds of bearded clams clinging to rock walls at the edge of the water. You can brush them with your fox brush and get fibre. I think it would be good to have an alternate source of fibre for those who find fox brushing difficult or impossible due to internet connections or physical limitations. Like trees, bearded clams would only be harvestable once per day. Plus, bearded clams: the innuendoes basically write themselves.

There would also be the lesser known, eerie glowing underwater jellisac dotting the walls, A new level of jellisac handling or set of upgrade cards would be connected to them. Scooping them would yield a jellisac that could be used, after processing, in light bulbs, and maybe one day ink or paint. They could be processed maybe using the cauldron. Or possible using the fuel maker.

Finally, there would be beds* of soft, fine sand at the bottom of the grottoes for collecting, probably using the shovel. The sand could be processed using the smelter into glass. Glass, a glowing essence or capsule of jellisac, and a bit of tin would give you lightbulbs, and for some reason I'd like to use the tinker tool to make them.

*maybe to make it glitchier, you collect the sand by scaring up one of the eyeless flatfish that swim and lurk on the bottom. So you would have to wait for one to settle down first and maybe sneak up on it.

There would be a feat starring Ilmenskie Jones to open the region.
  • edited March 2015
    Although maybe we are too desperate to turn sand into glass. Maybe you get glass rods from a snail somewhere, by feeding them jellisac and flummery.

Edited to add: although, sand to glass is already pretty glitchy.
  • oh my @"scarlett bearsdale" that sounds awesome! i think there should be only a few things though, maybe only the clams? i don't want it to seem too over-powered, but it is your idea :)
  • Ooh, if we could make glass we could make our own meditation orbs!

And I like the bearded clam idea. That's actually very close to a real-world fiber-- sea silk made from the byssus fibers of certain Mediterranean clams.
  • @"eira fae" you may be right, but I think about say, bogs: you have fireflies, barnacles, jellisacs, and three trants. Other places are more focused, sure. You could lose the sand I guess but I like the ideas of the glowing jellisacs lighting up the underwater areas and being really pretty. Plus just needing to recolour existing art assets would be a bonus.

@"Ellen Fremedon" yes! Meditation orbs!